Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lavender Honey

How to get lavender honey
Here is the dilemma, bees do not take nectar from just one source.  Bees will fly up to 3 miles for nectar and pollen.  They are opportunistic little devils.  Unless you have your hives amongst acres and acres of honey like say the south of France, chances are you will be getting other nectars mixed with your lavender nectar.  My hope is that my two hives will have mostly lavender nectar in their honey comb when I go to harvest honey in late July this year.  All I can really do is mow down the stand of clover near the lavender.  In reality I will not call it lavender honey but state that it will be Purple Dog Farm's blend of lavender, clover and other assorted native nectar.  It is sort of the best I can do, or should I say my bees can do. Hopefully my lavender field will be the more enticing to them.  To honey, to the bees and to lady Lavender!

No comments: