Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bees in Spring

We have a couple of hives on the farm. And this time of year on a warm spring day it is good to check to see how they fared the winter. We had a mild winter so I expected both hives to have done well. One of the hives last year was a strong hive continually growing last summer to the point of being 5 feet tall with boxes.  The other had modest growth.  Both this spring were a "buzz" with activity, and both had a good supply of stores of pollen and honey with more pollen being brought in to the hive constantly during my inspection.  I am a true novice working with bees I lost my first hive of bees two years ago and have wanted bees mostly to help pollinate our orchard and for family use of honey.  I work under the premise let them manage themselves, leave well enough alone, and take only what I truly need.  I know beekeepers out there are saying yeah he will learn lessons well enough.  He will learn what happens when he neglects and doesn't manage his hive well enough.  That may be true.  Last year was my first year with these two hives and I didn't take any honey so they had enough for the winter.  Seeing that the larger of the two hives had a good amount of stores still I took one frame of honey for us to use.  It amazes me what these bees give us. Honey, beeswax,bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly.  No insect works so hard and gives us so much.  From the one frame I removed, I received almost a quart of honey.  What wonderful nectar and my bees are poised to pollinate the orchard when the trees bloom.
Life is good!


1 comment:

CeliaLindsell.com said...

I adore it when all the bees wake up after winter. They make the most divine Lavender honey for me up in the Lavender fields of Provence. Delicious