Monday, September 12, 2011

Cider Press Project Part II

Well I opted for ash instead of oak partially because it is going to become scarce with the Emerald Ash Borer that is wreaking havoc in the Northeast.  A friend of mine who works with wood mentioned that regulations for lumber mills also make it harder for people to use ash.  Ash will only be sold within 25 miles from where it was logged.  I also made a mistake or two in my calculations and will be replacing some pieces of the design with some mahogany I had left over from another project.  I began with planing the uprights and routering the slots and decorative edging I desired. I rounded over the edges of the top to make it a little easier when pressing.  You won't scrape your knuckles on sharp edges.

Ash starting to take shape!

No comments: