Since it is loaded with butter and eggs it takes forever to rise. It is worth the wait.
Bodacious Buttery Brioche
Makes one loaf
½ pound or 8 oz. of unsalted butter
1 package of yeast
1 tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of sugar
1 ¾ cup of bread flour
2 teaspoons of Lara Brody’s Bread Dough Enhancer Powder
1. Take the butter out of the fridge 15-20 minutes before you start making the dough.
2. Dissolve the yeast in slightly warmed milk in the mixing bowl
3. Using a mixer with the flat paddle add the flour, sugar, salt and mix till it comes together 1-2 minutes.
4. Mix in the eggs 1 at a time till fully incorporated 3-4 minutes.
5. Let mixer continue and take butter and soften it by hitting it with a rolling pin.
6. Add butter to mix by pinching off walnut size chunks. Mix till all butter in fully incorporated in dough.
7. Cover and let the dough rise till double in size. This could take 2 hours, 4 or 6 hours depending on the warmth of the kitchen and the activity of the dough.
Shaping and Baking
At this point punch it down and roll it into a ball or you could place it in the fridge overnight to further develop the flavor and texture or shape it in a loaf or traditional brioche shape and let rise till when touched it doesn’t spring back (1-2 hours).
Brush with beaten egg before baking
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Bake for 35-45 minutes till beautifully browned and hollow sounding when tapped.
Great with honey or it makes the most decadent French toast!