Monday, April 18, 2011

Spring is Here!

There are many harbingers of Spring.  Robins building their nests. Songbirds flitting to the birdfeeders.  Crocuses pushing through the last remnants of snow.  As a primary school teacher one of the signs of spring for me is our first grade teachers hatching chicks. This year I helped to supply them with the eggs they needed.  Two friends gave me 4 dozen fertilized eggs.  An assortment of Easter Eggers, Wyandottes and the ones I wanted the most - Welsumers.  Welsumers lay a terra-cotta colored egg and I wanted some Welsumers for our flock to add more variety to our egg colors.  Welsumers come from Europe and I was told the rooster on the Kellogg's Cornflakes box is a Welsumer. When friends and neighbors get a dozen of our eggs it is a palette of pastels ranging from white to cream-colored to blue and green and this will now add one more color to our mix.  The new chicks have to grow from chick to pullet to laying hen and we won't see any eggs from them until Fall, but it will be worth the wait.

No comments: