Monday, August 16, 2010

Growing a Business


Starting a business, or farm is like growing a plant.  It takes time, you have to nurture it. Start slow give it what it needs but not too much, not too quick.  My biggest frustration is probably that we are not where we want to be in our vision of what the farm and lavender will finally look like.  We can only grow so fast.  We go from season to season.  This is a good thing for with each change in the farm we have to learn to work with the new change. It is one thing to plant 1300 lavender plants, it is another thing to harvest, weed, dry and store that lavender. The logistics of working with our crop through the season and what we can do to make it more productive, more successful, takes time, test what works and doesn't work.  What varieties thrive and what varieties whither. It is all about time and patience.

"In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.  My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.  The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful."  ~Abram L. Urban

This farm is my dream, we are living it, growing it and in time it will be what we dream it to be.  In the meantime we are content with the steps we have made, the work that has been done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have a dream of growing lavender and harvesting lavender. I have quite a large garden, no extra finances but a wonderful dream. I will start small doing what I love and hope that something grows so that I can accomplish my dream. Thank you for your words, they were inspiring.